McAfee wins stay order on Belize deportation
Washington: Anti-virus software pioneer John McAfee has been granted a stay on his deportation to Belize, where authorities want to question him about the killing of a neighbor, his lawyer has confirmed.
Under the order, McAfee will remain in Guatemala until his immigration case is heard in court, which may be more than a month, Telesforo Guerra said.
He said McAfee remains in an immigration detention center in Guatemala City but could be released as early as next week, he told CNN.
According to the report, the judicial victory came a day after McAfee`s bid for asylum was rejected. The 67-year-old was also taken to a police hospital, where he was treated for cardiovascular problems, his legal team said.
Later, attorney Guerra said McAfee had suffered a nervous breakdown as opposed to the heart problems reported in the media.
Authorities in Belize reportedly want to talk to him about the November 11 killing of his neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love