McAfee wins stay order on Belize deportation
Washington: Anti-virus software pioneer John McAfee has been granted a stay on his deportation to Belize, where authorities want to question him about the killing of a neighbor, his lawyer has confirmed.
Under the order, McAfee will remain in Guatemala until his immigration case is heard in court, which may be more than a month, Telesforo Guerra said.
He said McAfee remains in an immigration detention center in Guatemala City but could be released as early as next week, he told CNN.
According to the report, the judicial victory came a day after McAfee`s bid for asylum was rejected. The 67-year-old was also taken to a police hospital, where he was treated for cardiovascular problems, his legal team said.
Later, attorney Guerra said McAfee had suffered a nervous breakdown as opposed to the heart problems reported in the media.
Authorities in Belize reportedly want to talk to him about the November 11 killing of his neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon