McAfee wins stay order on Belize deportation
Washington: Anti-virus software pioneer John McAfee has been granted a stay on his deportation to Belize, where authorities want to question him about the killing of a neighbor, his lawyer has confirmed.
Under the order, McAfee will remain in Guatemala until his immigration case is heard in court, which may be more than a month, Telesforo Guerra said.
He said McAfee remains in an immigration detention center in Guatemala City but could be released as early as next week, he told CNN.
According to the report, the judicial victory came a day after McAfee`s bid for asylum was rejected. The 67-year-old was also taken to a police hospital, where he was treated for cardiovascular problems, his legal team said.
Later, attorney Guerra said McAfee had suffered a nervous breakdown as opposed to the heart problems reported in the media.
Authorities in Belize reportedly want to talk to him about the November 11 killing of his neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!