McDonald`s to pay 700,000 dollars to US Muslims to settle food suit
London: Food giant McDonald`s and one of its franchise owners has agreed to pay 700,000 dollars to members of the Muslim community, following allegations that a Detroit-based restaurant had falsely advertised that its food is being prepared according to the Islamic dietary law.
Dearborn Heights, Michigan resident Ahmed Ahmed had sued the food chain and Finley`s Management Co in view of allegations that Ahmed had bought a chicken sandwich in 2011, which was later found out to be non-halal, reports the Telegraph.
Along with Ahmed, a Detroit health clinic, the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn and lawyers, will also be partners in the money from the settlement.
According to Ahmed`s lawyer Kassem Daklallah, there are only two McDonald`s in the United States that sell halal products and both are in Dearborn.
He alleged that one of the locations had sold non-halal products when it ran out of halal meat.
An investigation conducted with the help of Ahmed revealed that the restaurant had sold non-halal food on many occasions, after which a letter was sent to McDonald`s and Finley`s, Daklallah said.
He added that a lawsuit was file only after they received no response for the letter. However, Finley`s have said in its settlement notice that the company has trained its employees on the preparation of halal food, with strict adherence to the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA