Media asked to leave Mandela hospital Park Street entrance
Pretoria: A day after Nelson Mandela`s daughter lashed out at the "crass" media frenzy around her ailing father, South African police on Friday asked journalists to leave the road outside the entrance to the Pretoria hospital, where the global peace icon remains on life support.
Reporters were given an hour to remove their cars from the road outside the Park Street entrance to the Medi-Clinic Heart Hospital, where the 94-year-old former president is admitted 21 days ago.
Celliers Street, where the hospital`s exit is, has already been cordoned off to traffic.
Tshwane metro police told journalists the vehicles posed a "security risk" to the hospital, reports said.
An official of the Tshwane metro police said the media were contravening the city`s parking by-laws. Asked how they were doing that, the officer told journalists to "look it up".
The Park Street entrance is where reporters have kept watch since Mandela was admitted on June 8 with a recurring lung infection.
It is also the entrance used by the Mandela family, government officials, President Jacob Zuma, and others to enter the hospital.
Mandela`s daughter Makaziwe yesterday criticised the foreign media, calling them "vultures". She said the foreign media contingent camped outside the hospital were failing to respect African custom and the family`s feelings.
"There is an element of racism to their attitude," she told the national broadcaster SABC.
"It is like, truly, vultures waiting when the lion has devoured the buffalo, waiting there, you know, for the last carcasses. That is the image that we have as a family," she said.
"It is very crass. The fact that my dad is a global icon, one of the 25 most influential people of the 20th century, does not mean that people cannot respect the privacy and dignity of my dad," said Makaziwe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof