Medvedev, Abbas to discuss Middle East peace process
Sochi: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev will meet his Palestinian counterpart Mahmoud Abbas on Tuesday to discuss the resumption of Israeli-Palestinian talks, a Kremlin source said.
Abbas, who is currently on a three-day visit to Russia, will meet Medvedev in the southern Russian city of Sochi. The previous meeting between the two leaders was held in Moscow in April 2009.
The talks will focus on the resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, which have seen a lack of progress due to the Jewish outpost expansion in the West Bank.
"Both Russian and Palestinian sides are convinced that this (the resumption of talks) is possible only through a collective effort, based on a solid international legal basis, (and) in strict accordance with the provisions of the road map, UN Security Council resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative," the source said.
Russia, along with the UN, the US and European Union, comprises part of the Middle East Quartet of intermediaries for peace efforts.
Under the internationally agreed road map for Middle East peace, Israel is obliged to freeze all settlement construction activity, and remove unauthorised outposts built since 2001 from the Palestinian territories.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced in late November that construction would be limited in the occupied West Bank, but not in East Jerusalem. He also said it would resume in the future.
Medvedev and Abbas will also discuss bilateral cooperation, aimed at "creating effective state institutions and overcoming acute humanitarian, social and economic problems", as well as inter-Palestinian unity, the source said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata