Medvedev issues stark warning on Russian Caucasus
Moscow: President Dmitry Medvedev warned on Wednesday that Russia`s Caucasus region was dangerously unstable
and said "terrorists" there must be "liquidated without
"The battle against terrorists must be pursued
unceremoniously," Medvedev was quoted as saying at a meeting
with members of his national security council in the southern
Russian city of Stavropol.
"They must be liquidated without emotion or hesitation,
or else we will not succeed," he said, according to Russian
His comments echoed the strident language used by his
predecessor and mentor, Vladimir Putin, who once said rebel
fighters in Chechnya should be hunted down and "whacked in the
Putin made that particular comment in September 1999 at a
time Russian military aircraft had already dropped bombs on
the Chechen capital, Grozny, but before the launch of the war
in Chechnya that helped catapult him to power.
Medvedev spoke two days after a truck packed with
explosives rammed the gates of a police station in Ingushetia,
a province neighboring Chechnya, and exploded in a suicide
attack that killed 24, wounded 130 and left nine missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'