Medvedev orders Khodorkovsky case probe
Moscow: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has
ordered a review of the legality of conviction of jailed
anti-Putin tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky.
The prosecutor-General has been asked to conduct a review
by April 1 of convictions of 32 citizens including
Khodorkovsky and his business partner Platon Lebedev, Kremlin
said in a statement on Monday.
Khodorkovsky has been in jail in a penal colony on charges
of fraud and tax evasion since his arrest on a Siberian
airport runway in 2003, which his supporters claim was
punishment for funding the liberal opposition at a time when
Vladimir Putin was beginning to create a "vertical power
At the time of his arrest Khodorkovsky was one of Russia`s
Khodorkovsky`s lawyer Yury Schmidt said he does not know
what to expect from Medvedev`s order.
"It could be a purely formal decision, an insignificant
one, or a signal that they have decided to close the
Khodorkovsky and Lebedev cases...to stop it causing troubles
for the authorities," Schmidt was quoted by RIA Novosti as
Schmidt also said it could be positive for his client if
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin signalled that a probe could be
"If there is no (Putin`s) approval, Medvedev`s decision
will not lead to anything positive," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000