Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant
Moscow: Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has ordered for construction of an aircraft manufacturing plant for producing tactical transport aircraft in Kazan city, said Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov.
The mooted plant in Tatarstan`s capital will be intended, in particular, for constructing Antonov An-70 propfan tactical transport aircraft and possibly in future for the production of a new generation strategic bombers, the minister said.
"It will be the most up-to-date plant producing An-70 aircraft, and as soon as with settle the issue with new long-range aircraft, it might be produced there as well," Serdyukov said.
Two weeks ago, Lt General Viktor Kachalkin, the commander of Russia`s Military Transport Aviation (VTA), announced that the service will receive 60 Antonov An-70 propfan tactical transport aircraft by 2020.
The Ukrainian-designed An-70, being built together with Russia, has had a long-running and troubled gestation. The aircraft also had a history of snags with its propfan engines.
Russia pulled out of the project in 2006, with Russian Air Force commander Vladimir Mikhailov stating it did not need the aircraft and would prefer the modernised Il-76. But it later rejoined the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed