Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant
Moscow: Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has ordered for construction of an aircraft manufacturing plant for producing tactical transport aircraft in Kazan city, said Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov.
The mooted plant in Tatarstan`s capital will be intended, in particular, for constructing Antonov An-70 propfan tactical transport aircraft and possibly in future for the production of a new generation strategic bombers, the minister said.
"It will be the most up-to-date plant producing An-70 aircraft, and as soon as with settle the issue with new long-range aircraft, it might be produced there as well," Serdyukov said.
Two weeks ago, Lt General Viktor Kachalkin, the commander of Russia`s Military Transport Aviation (VTA), announced that the service will receive 60 Antonov An-70 propfan tactical transport aircraft by 2020.
The Ukrainian-designed An-70, being built together with Russia, has had a long-running and troubled gestation. The aircraft also had a history of snags with its propfan engines.
Russia pulled out of the project in 2006, with Russian Air Force commander Vladimir Mikhailov stating it did not need the aircraft and would prefer the modernised Il-76. But it later rejoined the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing