Medvedev sacks Russian Air Force commander
Moscow: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has sacked Air Force Commander Colonel-General Alexander Zelin and dismissed him from military service, the Kremlin said Friday.
Zelin, 59, had been in the top military post for five years, during which the air force begun to receive new aircraft and equipment in significant numbers.
No reason was given for the dismissal but senior military commanders in Russia usually retire at age 60.
Igor Korotchenko, chairman of the defence ministry`s Public Council said the reshuffle was a normal practice for military officials.
"Medevedev`s move will give the road to new, younger military specialists," he said, adding that the experienced Zelin would likely move on to a top post in a defence industrial holding.
"To the observer, Zelin appeared to preside over a period where air force procurement and plans became more planted in reality than merely in aspirations," said Douglas Barrie, an air warfare analyst at the London-based International Institute of Strategic Studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway