Meet Obama’s most important political advisers!
New York: US President Barack Obama has revealed that his daughters Sasha and Malia have influenced his decisions on social issues.
Obama had last week disclosed that his historic change of heart to support same-sex marriage was in part inspired by talking with his daughters — ranging from availability of birth control to the importance of killing Osama bin Laden.
According to political pundits, the frequent references to his family also connect with voters.
“Voters like a family man in a President,” the New York Daily quoted Professor Monika McDermott, Fordham University, as saying.
“There’s a strength there, but also a softness that is appealing.”
“People like hearing about his family and seeing him with his family.”
“It’s a very warming, human aspect,” McDermott said.
When Georgetown University law student Sandra Fuke was berated by right-wing radio host Rush Linbaugh for her views on birth control, Obama cited his daughters as the reason as to why he reached out to the woman at the centre of the controversy.
“I thought about Malia and Sasha and one of the things that I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about, even ones that I may not agree with them on,” Obama said.
He said his daughters do not believe their friends’ gay parents should be treated differently than heterosexual couples — and that helped change his mind on same-sex marriage.
Obama also cited the girls as the reason why he opposed the morning after pill being made available over the counter — and why he is fighting to lower student loan interest rates.
“When we should have been starting to save up for Malia’s and Sasha’s college educations, we were still paying off our educations,” Obama said this month.
The First Family is fiercely protective of their daughters’ privacy.
Malia, 13, and Sasha, 10, are both active students at the Sidwell Friends School, but White House photographers rarely capture them.
However, they are still seen and discussed far more often than other children who have recently called the White house home.
“It’s a very different dynamic,” McDermott said.
“This feels like a family presidency and less like a President who happens to have a family,” McDermott said.
And while Obama’s laudatory and sometimes amusing references to his wife and daughters clearly help him with female voters, there could be a downside, pundits warn.
“Obama opens up a slippery slope when he refers to his children when at other times says he wants them to have a private life,” Tobe Berkovitz from Boston University said.
“You can’t have it both ways. I don’t think voters want to feel that (the girls) are being used as political surrogates on campaign trail.”
“There could be a backlash,” Berkovitz added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'