Meet the Amazons - Anti-terror women squad for Olympics
London: The Amazons, an elite special forces anti-terror team comprising 40 women, trained to infiltrate terrorist cells and kill, will be Britain`s "secret weapon" during the Olympics to keep trouble at bay.
The team has been dubbed The Amazons after the legendary tribe of female warriors in Greek mythology, the Daily Express reported Sunday.
The women have been ¬training for over the past two years, and have worked in Yemen, Afghanistan and the Middle East.
The unit has played key roles in smashing high-profile terrorist plots, including an operation to free British hostage Judith Tebbutt from Somalia.
Each woman has been "handpicked" from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds and linguistic ability, to blend into a variety of ¬situations.
Always undercover, each woman can choose her own weapon after intensive high velocity arms training.
They were recruited from all branches of the armed forces.
"They are very gifted and spend weeks in high danger. Women attract less attention than men. They can get into buildings or befriend targets and get close to the wives and families more easily than a man and get right into Al Qaeda cells," a security official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners