Meet the Amazons - Anti-terror women squad for Olympics
London: The Amazons, an elite special forces anti-terror team comprising 40 women, trained to infiltrate terrorist cells and kill, will be Britain`s "secret weapon" during the Olympics to keep trouble at bay.
The team has been dubbed The Amazons after the legendary tribe of female warriors in Greek mythology, the Daily Express reported Sunday.
The women have been ¬training for over the past two years, and have worked in Yemen, Afghanistan and the Middle East.
The unit has played key roles in smashing high-profile terrorist plots, including an operation to free British hostage Judith Tebbutt from Somalia.
Each woman has been "handpicked" from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds and linguistic ability, to blend into a variety of ¬situations.
Always undercover, each woman can choose her own weapon after intensive high velocity arms training.
They were recruited from all branches of the armed forces.
"They are very gifted and spend weeks in high danger. Women attract less attention than men. They can get into buildings or befriend targets and get close to the wives and families more easily than a man and get right into Al Qaeda cells," a security official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog