Melting snow floods German rivers
Berlin: Mild temperatures are melting record December snowfalls across Germany, causing rivers from the Rhine in the west to the Oder in the east to burst their banks, flooding cities, towns and fields.
Officials were watching flood levels on the Rhine river in the city of Koblenz on Monday which were expected to peak at 25 feet, 4 inches (7 meters, 70 centimeters).
Further south, the Mosel river in western Germany peaked already on Sunday, after flooding several villages in the wine-growing valley.
Officials also are carefully monitoring the Oder river on Germany`s eastern border, although waters there appear to be receding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says