Men file complaint over ejection from cab for kiss
Chicago: Two men filed a complaint with the state of Illinois against a Chicago taxicab company, alleging one of the company`s drivers ejected them from a cab after they kissed.
Steven White of West Hollywood, California, and Matthew McCrea of Chicago say they kissed yesterday during a ride in May from O`Hare International Airport to McCrea`s home. They claim the driver for Sun Taxi turned the interior lights on and off, telling his passengers, "This is public transportation."
The driver initially pulled over on an expressway but then drove to a grocery store parking lot and ordered them out, they said.
"My initial reaction was that I was afraid of this man, and I didn`t know what he was thinking," said White, 29. "Matt`s initial reaction was that we are not getting out of this cab on the expressway."
White called a complaint line and was eventually connected to police, who sent officers to the grocery store parking lot.
The cab driver told police White and McCrea had been "making sex," which the two deny. No one was arrested, and the two men eventually got out of the cab and waited for another one to come pick them up.
The driver told the Chicago Sun-Times that he was annoyed because the two men wouldn`t stop kissing and that he found their behavior distracting.
The couple say they exchanged only a brief kiss. The gay rights organization Lambda Legal filed a complaint Monday with the Illinois Department of Human Rights seeking damages on their behalf.
Sun Taxi general manager Jong Lee says he can`t comment on the complaint until he sees it.
McCrea says since the incident he might be a little more cautious about how he acts. However, White says he refuses to change his behavior.
"We`re a couple just like any other couple," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees