`Merchant of Death` faces possible life sentence
New York: A former Soviet officer dubbed the "Merchant of Death" for his reputation for putting deadly weapons into the hands of violent dictators and regimes is set for sentencing Thursday.
Viktor Bout, 45, faces a mandatory minimum of 25 years in prison and possibly life for his conviction on terrorism charges. His lawyers are making a last-minute bid to convince a judge that the case should be tossed out, along with last year`s jury verdict. They say he is the victim of a vindictive US government sting operation.
But in a sentencing memorandum, federal prosecutors urge a life prison sentence for Bout, saying his conviction stemmed from his willingness "without hesitation and with frightening speed" to ship "a breathtaking arsenal of weapons," including hundreds of surface-to-air missiles, machine guns and sniper rifles along with 10 million rounds of ammunition to men he believed represented a foreign terrorist organization willing to kill Americans in Colombia.
They say that his weapons fueled armed conflicts in some of the world`s most treacherous hot spots, including Rwanda, Angola and the Congo and that he was looking for new arms deals in places like Libya and Tanzania when he was arrested.
Lawyers for Bout, who was the inspiration for an arms dealer character played by Nicolas Cage in the 2005 film "Lord of War," say their client became a political prisoner after Drug Enforcement Administration agents coaxed him from his Russian home to Thailand, where he was arrested in March 2008. They say the charges stemmed from a made-up scenario to deliver weapons to rebels in South America to shoot down American helicopter pilots.
"The relentless pursuit of Viktor Bout and the abominable design to create a criminal case against him that brings him before this court for sentencing is the product of malice and object of private politics stemming from the then White House," defense attorney Albert Dayan wrote in a letter to U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin, a judge who recently ordered Bout moved from solitary confinement into the general prison population.
Dayan said the prosecution resulted from "outrageous, inexcusable government conduct" to get his client even after Bout rebuffed the first approach by US operatives by saying the Russian government had ordered him to withdraw from any illegal arms deals.
Dayan said his client faked his way through negotiations for a $15 million to $20 million arms deal so he could sell two shoddy cargo planes for $5 million to US government operatives. He said the operatives followed a well scripted dialogue of anti-Americanism that would whip American jurors into "a blind rage ... and ultimately to conviction."
Dayan said Bout`s conviction culminated a plan put in motion by the US to avenge the embarrassing revelation that US military contractors had arranged in late 2003 with Bout-owned or Bout-controlled companies to deliver tents, food and other supplies for US firms working for the US military in Iraq.
The deliveries occurred despite United Nations sanctions imposed against Bout since 2001 because of his reputation as a notorious illegal arms dealer, Dayan said.
The lawyer noted that the US Treasury Department imposed its own ban on dealings with Bout in July 2004, citing in part the "unproven allegation" that Bout made $50 million in profits from arms transfers to the Taliban when Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda were based in Afghanistan.
Federal prosecutors said the government initiated its investigation in 2007 because Bout "constituted a threat to the United States and to the international community based on his reported history of arming some of the world`s most violent and destabilizing dictators and regimes."
"Although Bout has often described himself as nothing more than a businessman, he was a businessman of the most dangerous order," prosecutors said in their memo. Transnational criminals like Bout who are ready, willing and able to arm terrorists transform their customers from intolerant ideologues into lethal criminals who pose the gravest risk to civilized societies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday