Merkel coalition meets to tap new German president
Berlin: The parties in Chancellor Angela Merkel`s coalition government met today to find a candidate to
replace German president Christian Wulff, the day after he
resigned over a corruption probe.
Merkel had talks with Horst Seehofer, head of the
Bavarian sister party of her Christian Democratic Union, and
Philipp Roesler of junior coalition partner the Free
Democrats, as well as leaders of the parliamentary groups of
all three parties.
No name emerged from the talks, which lasted only two
hours, much shorter than expected, a source close to the
government said, adding that this was "a very good sign."
Merkel said yesterday she wanted a candidate who was also
backed by opposition parties.
A member of the CDU and Merkel`s hand-picked choice as
head of state in 2010, Wulff, 52, had endured a barrage of
negative media coverage since December largely over his links
with wealthy businessmen.
He stepped down yesterday after prosecutors sought the
lifting of his legal immunity to probe allegations he had
enjoyed favours from a film producer friend.
Merkel, who cancelled a trip to Rome yesterday for
eurozone crisis talks with Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti,
said she would first speak to government parties and then the
opposition to find a replacement.
Among possible successors to Wulff, a favourite is former
pastor and East German dissident Joachim Gauck, who was the
main opposition candidate in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year