Merkel party ahead in year`s 1st German state vote
Berlin: An exit poll points to a victory for
Chancellor Angela Merkel`s party in a state election in
western Germany, and a disastrous performance for her partners
in the national government.
Merkel`s Christian Democrats were fighting to preserve
their 12-year hold on the governor`s office in Saarland today.
It`s the first of three state elections this year.
An ARD television exit poll showed Merkel`s party in the
lead -- more than four points ahead of Germany`s main
opposition Social Democrats.
It showed the pro-market Free Democrats -- Merkel`s
struggling partners in the national government -- slumping far
below the 5 percent support needed to win seats in the state
The exit poll shows the upstart Pirate Party entering its
second state parliament with 8 per cent support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof