Merkel presses Putin on Russian democracy
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel pressed Vladimir Putin on Friday to allow "democratic diversity" to develop in Russia as he made his first trip abroad since returning to the presidency.
Putin and his United Russia party have faced high levels of discontent in recent months, especially after December`s fraud-marred parliamentary election.
That election prompted massive street protests that have evolved into regular, smaller rallies more recently decrying corruption, the growing authoritarianism of the government, and Putin`s win in the March presidential contest.
Putin has toughened his stance against the opposition since winning a third term, rejecting dialogue with its leaders and stonewalling their demands.
Merkel said after meeting Putin that they had discussed "the development of civil society" in Russia.
"I made clear on my part that we have every interest in democratic diversity in Russia being able to develop further, because my experience is it is only that way that a truly robust civil society can arise which supports the development of the country," Merkel told reporters.
Putin, who was standing alongside her, did not respond.
Putin`s trip, which started in Belarus, was to take him to France after his stop today in Berlin. His visit to the 17-nation eurozone`s two biggest economies reflects a policy course driven primarily by Russia`s economic interests.
Merkel said Germany wants to help Russia modernize its industry and pointed to the two countries` close cooperation on raw materials -- exemplified by a new undersea pipeline that transports natural gas directly from Russia to Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack