Merkel presses Putin on Russian democracy
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel pressed Vladimir Putin on Friday to allow "democratic diversity" to develop in Russia as he made his first trip abroad since returning to the presidency.
Putin and his United Russia party have faced high levels of discontent in recent months, especially after December`s fraud-marred parliamentary election.
That election prompted massive street protests that have evolved into regular, smaller rallies more recently decrying corruption, the growing authoritarianism of the government, and Putin`s win in the March presidential contest.
Putin has toughened his stance against the opposition since winning a third term, rejecting dialogue with its leaders and stonewalling their demands.
Merkel said after meeting Putin that they had discussed "the development of civil society" in Russia.
"I made clear on my part that we have every interest in democratic diversity in Russia being able to develop further, because my experience is it is only that way that a truly robust civil society can arise which supports the development of the country," Merkel told reporters.
Putin, who was standing alongside her, did not respond.
Putin`s trip, which started in Belarus, was to take him to France after his stop today in Berlin. His visit to the 17-nation eurozone`s two biggest economies reflects a policy course driven primarily by Russia`s economic interests.
Merkel said Germany wants to help Russia modernize its industry and pointed to the two countries` close cooperation on raw materials -- exemplified by a new undersea pipeline that transports natural gas directly from Russia to Germany.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed