Merkel urges Iran to `carefully consider` nuke deal
Doha: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on
Thursday called on Iran to "carefully consider" an international
offer on its nuclear programme, and also expressed concern
over instability in Yemen.
"Iran must carefully consider the offer of the
international community" on its programme of uranium
enrichment, Merkel said in a speech at the Museum of Islamic
Art in Doha.
Merkel, who was in the Qatari capital as part of a
four-nation Gulf tour, said that "the dispute with Iran must
be resolved diplomatically and peacefully, and Germany will
contribute to such a settlement."
"But we believe that Iran will not show the necessary
transparency to the International Atomic Energy Agency, which
is why we are working to strengthen sanctions in the (UN)
Security Council," Merkel said.
In October, the Vienna Group of the United States,
France, Russia and the IAEA offered to ship most of Iran`s
low-enriched uranium (LEU) out of the country in exchange for
higher-grade reactor fuel from Russia and France.
The Islamic Republic insisted that it wanted a
simultaneous swap on its own territory, a proposal rejected by
Iran struck a deal last week with Turkey and Brazil
under which it would ship about half its stock of LEU to
Turkey in exchange for reactor fuel, but Washington and its
allies have dismissed that agreement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video