Merkel`s election law reform declared unconstitutional
Berlin: Germany`s top court has ruled changes in the current election law, introduced last year by Chancellor Angela Merkel`s coalition, as unconstitutional.
The Wednesday`s ruling has left politicians with limited time to draw up a new law before the general election in 2013, Xinhua reported.
The new arrangements of distributing parliamentary seats in the lower house, pushed forward by the ruling Christian Democrats (CDU) and Free Democrats (FDP) in 2011, "breach the fundamental principles of equal, direct elections and equal opportunities for parties in several respects", said the Karlsruhe-based Constitutional Court.
The court supported the appeals lodged by the opposition Social Democrats (SPD), the Greens and more than 3,000 citizens, who said that the law reform benefited the bigger parties, particularly Merkel`s conservative CDU.
According to Germany`s complex electoral system, one voter should cast two parallel ballots in the election -- one for a candidate in the constituency of the voter and the other for a particularly party.
If a party gains more seats in the direct election for candidates than the distribution it has in the party election based on the percentage of the votes, the party will occupy the so-called extra seats in the Bundestag, or the lower house of German Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons