Mexican indigenous community takes on armed gangs
Mexico City: Around 17,000 people from an
indigenous group in western Mexico have blocked access to
their community and declared a "state of siege" against armed
groups protecting illegal loggers, a spokesman said.
"It`s a desperate measure" faced with the lack of
security from federal authorities, a spokesman for the
Purepecha community told a news conference yesterday in Mexico
City, wearing a face mask to remain anonymous.
It was a "self-imposed state of siege" that started
April 15 in the village of Cheran, in Michoacan state, not far
from famous sanctuaries for migrating Monarch butterflies, the
The community started the blockade after armed men
fired on some of its members after they captured illegal
loggers to hand them over to the authorities, he added.
An armed group entered the community on April 27 and
killed two people. Since 2008, nine have been killed and five
others have disappeared, he said.
Illegal loggers have deforested 80 percent of some
30,000 acres (12,000 hectares) of the region`s forests in more
than three years, according to the community.
"But during the past year, the groups seem to be
supported by organized crime groups," the spokesman said.
Michoacan is one of a string of regions hit by rising
violence blamed on drug gangs since the launch of a government
offensive on organized crime in December 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon