Mexican Mayor-elect shot to death
Mexico City: Police say gunmen have shot down the mayor-elect of a town in San Luis Potosi state and a campaign adviser while they were riding in a vehicle with another person.
The local public safety secretary says Matehuala Mayor-elect Edgar Morales Perez and aide Francisco Hernandez Colunga were returning from a birthday party when they were ambushed early Sunday morning in the town.
Hernandez Colunga`s wife was also in the car but survived the attack. The assailants remain at large.
Morales Perez had belonged to the Institutional Revolutionary Party, which regained the country`s presidency last month. He was scheduled to take office in September. The National Action Party had governed Matehuala for years before his electoral win.
A car filled with 14 corpses was found on Thursday by a gas station along a highway in San Luis Potosi state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security