Mexican prison riot leaves at least 38 dead
Monterrey: At least 38 inmates have
been killed in a riot at a prison near the northern Mexican
city of Monterrey, officials said on Sunday.
The clashes broke out overnight between rival gangs at
Apodoca prison, some 30 kilometres from Monterrey.
Families were gathering outside the institution, awaiting
news of their loved ones.
"So far we have counted 38 dead," Jorge Domene, a
spokesman for the state corrections` system, said to a news agency adding
that the situation inside the prison was now calm and that
forensic teams were working to identify the bodies.
Riots are common in Mexico`s notoriously overcrowded
prisons. It was the second deadly such brawl in recent months
near Monterrey after seven inmates died and 12 were injured in
a clash in October at Cadereyta prison.
Monterrey, an industrial hub and Mexico`s third largest
city, has seen an upsurge in violence in recent months blamed
on fighting between the brutal Zetas drug gang and their
former employers, the Gulf cartel. Members of both groups are
in Apodoca prison.
The deadly riots come just days after a horrific blaze at
a Honduran prison left 359 inmates dead and shone a spotlight
on Latin America`s overcrowded penitentiaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog