Mexico arrests drug lord `El Taliban`
Mexico City: Mexican law enforcement authorities have arrested drug kingpin Ivan Velazquez Caballero, nicknamed "El Taliban", dealing a serious blow to the nation`s biggest drug cartel, Los Zetas, the government said.
Velazquez Caballero had a $2.4 million bounty on his head. He is one of 37 people on Mexico`s most wanted list in the drug war launched by President Felip Calderon`s government in 2006.
Velazquez Caballero, who helped found Los Zetas in 2010, was captured by navy marines in San Luis Potosi in central Mexico.
Los Zetas had become Mexico`s biggest drug cartel by the end of 2011, with criminal groups in 16 of Mexico`s 31 states and Mexico City. The cartel, which included former members of elite army units, was suspected of engineering last week`s escape of 131 inmates from the Piedras Negras prison in northern Mexico. Police have managed to recapture only a few of the fugitives.
But recent infighting, which resulted in two massacres in August-September that left 23 people dead, has weakened the cartel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory