Mexico arrests drug lord `El Taliban`
Mexico City: Mexican law enforcement authorities have arrested drug kingpin Ivan Velazquez Caballero, nicknamed "El Taliban", dealing a serious blow to the nation`s biggest drug cartel, Los Zetas, the government said.
Velazquez Caballero had a $2.4 million bounty on his head. He is one of 37 people on Mexico`s most wanted list in the drug war launched by President Felip Calderon`s government in 2006.
Velazquez Caballero, who helped found Los Zetas in 2010, was captured by navy marines in San Luis Potosi in central Mexico.
Los Zetas had become Mexico`s biggest drug cartel by the end of 2011, with criminal groups in 16 of Mexico`s 31 states and Mexico City. The cartel, which included former members of elite army units, was suspected of engineering last week`s escape of 131 inmates from the Piedras Negras prison in northern Mexico. Police have managed to recapture only a few of the fugitives.
But recent infighting, which resulted in two massacres in August-September that left 23 people dead, has weakened the cartel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy