Mexico arrests drug lord `El Taliban`
Mexico City: Mexican law enforcement authorities have arrested drug kingpin Ivan Velazquez Caballero, nicknamed "El Taliban", dealing a serious blow to the nation`s biggest drug cartel, Los Zetas, the government said.
Velazquez Caballero had a $2.4 million bounty on his head. He is one of 37 people on Mexico`s most wanted list in the drug war launched by President Felip Calderon`s government in 2006.
Velazquez Caballero, who helped found Los Zetas in 2010, was captured by navy marines in San Luis Potosi in central Mexico.
Los Zetas had become Mexico`s biggest drug cartel by the end of 2011, with criminal groups in 16 of Mexico`s 31 states and Mexico City. The cartel, which included former members of elite army units, was suspected of engineering last week`s escape of 131 inmates from the Piedras Negras prison in northern Mexico. Police have managed to recapture only a few of the fugitives.
But recent infighting, which resulted in two massacres in August-September that left 23 people dead, has weakened the cartel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack