Mexico arrests `El Brad Pitt`, alleged drug boss
Mexico City: Federal authorities detained a former police officer accused of leading the armed wing of the violent Juarez Cartel in northern Mexico, the government said on Thursday.
Marco Antonio Guzman, who had several aliases including "El Brad Pitt," was captured Wednesday in the US border state of Chihuahua along with two alleged accomplices, according to a federal police statement.
Guzman, 34, was brought to the Mexican capital Thursday and shown, handcuffed, to the news media.
Police said Guzman was involved in the June 15, 2010 car bomb explosion that killed a federal police officer and two civilians.
They also accuse him of being involved in drug-trafficking operations across Chihuahua. The state is one of the worst-affected areas of the drug war. It is the state of deadly Ciudad Juarez, where an estimated 3,100 people were killed in 2010 alone.
A federal official who was not authorized to speak on the record said Guzman`s nickname "El Brad Pitt" comes from a disguise he wore when he served as a lookout for the Juarez cartel.
To go unnoticed, he tried to look like a tourist wearing his hair long, a baseball cap and a camera around his neck. According to the official, gang associates said Guzman looked like Pitt in a scene from the American film "Spy Game" about CIA agents, in which the actor wore a similar outfit.
The nickname apparently stuck.
Guzman had a $42,000 (500,000 pesos) reward for his capture, and may have been planning another such bombing; federal police said in a statement that he had been responsible for acquiring another load of explosives seized in Ciudad Juarez on April 25.
He also allegedly participated in a videotaped killing that was posted on a video-sharing site.
Also Thursday, federal police said they arrested a leader of the so-called "Zodiac" kidnapping gang, whose member used the signs of the zodiac as nicknames.
Suspect Dhither Camarillo Palafox, alias "Taurus," was arrested in the Caribbean coast resort of Cancun on Friday; alleged associates nicknamed "Sagittarius" and "Aquarius" were arrested in 2009. The group`s other leader, nicknamed "Cancer," was detained in 2005.
The group allegedly carried out kidnappings in and around Mexico City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened