Mexico arrests trafficker accused of 600 killings
Toluca: Mexican police arrested the suspected leader of a brutal drug gang called "The Hand with Eyes" and he has confessed to helping carry out or ordering more than 600 murders, authorities said on Thursday.
Oscar Osvaldo Garcia Montoya, 36, was arrested in an overnight raid on a presumed safe house on the outskirts of Mexico City, State of Mexico Attorney General Alfredo Castillo said at a news conference.
"The Hand with Eyes" is one of the groups blamed for bringing the drug violence typical of northern Mexico to Mexico City and its surrounding areas.
The organisation is known for extreme violence, including decapitations. Many of its victims have been drug dealers and rivals killed as the group fought for control of drug sales in Mexico state, an area that includes many of the poor suburbs ringing the capital.
Castillo said Garcia is a deserter from the Mexican marines who worked as a bodyguard for major cartel figures including Edgar Valdez, aka "La Barbie”, a top assassin for the Beltran Leyva cartel until he was arrested in 2010.
With the capture or death of Valdez and most of the leaders of the Beltran Leyva cartel, Garcia split off and formed his own group.
Garcia is known as "El Compayito" after a popular Mexican talking hand-puppet character created by an entertainer who dresses up his hand and puts eyes on it. The crime gang apparently took its name from Garcia`s puppet nickname.
"In the first declarations that have been gathered, El Compayito and-or `The Hand with Eyes,` has acknowledged having participated personally in 300 murders and ordering another 300," Castillo said.
The bushy-haired Garcia gazed coolly when he was paraded before journalists on Thursday, held firmly by two masked police officers.
Castillo said Garcia had received some training from members of the Guatemalan special forces called the "Kaibiles”, who are known for massacres during the Guatemalan civil war that ended in the 1990s. Some of them are believed to have been hired by Mexican drug cartels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon