Mexico cites breakdown in La Familia cartel
Mexico City: Mexico`s federal police say the once-fearsome La Familia drug cartel has been "completely dismembered" and has broken down into small groups that commit robberies to pay their members.
Federal police official Luis Cardenas Palomino says that the breakdown of the organization was hastened by the Dec. 9 death of cartel leader Nazario Moreno, nicknamed "The Craziest One".
He says the remaining groups are "completely disorganized."
Cardenas made the comments Friday at a news conference announcing the arrest of the leader of one of the remaining groups, a man known as "The Mustache."
La Familia has dominated the western state of Michoacan for several years, and has launched bloody ambushes of federal police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees