Mexico cites breakdown in La Familia cartel
Mexico City: Mexico`s federal police say the once-fearsome La Familia drug cartel has been "completely dismembered" and has broken down into small groups that commit robberies to pay their members.
Federal police official Luis Cardenas Palomino says that the breakdown of the organization was hastened by the Dec. 9 death of cartel leader Nazario Moreno, nicknamed "The Craziest One".
He says the remaining groups are "completely disorganized."
Cardenas made the comments Friday at a news conference announcing the arrest of the leader of one of the remaining groups, a man known as "The Mustache."
La Familia has dominated the western state of Michoacan for several years, and has launched bloody ambushes of federal police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- India vs West Indies: Confident visitors arrive in Kingston for 2nd Test
- Coal scam: Court awards 3 years jail term to Rathi Steel CEO
- 'India more than capable of achieving 100 Smart City goal'
- APJ Abdul Kalam's look alike pays tribute to 'Missile Man' on first death anniversary
- Bus strike enters third day in Karnataka; schools remain shut