Mexico leader meets Dalai Lama
Mexico City: Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Friday held "private" talks with the Dalai Lama -- a move sure to irritate China, which says the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader is bent on independence.
Calderon`s office said in a statement that the pair had discussed "the importance of promoting ethical values in contemporary society”.
The Mexican leader reiterated his country`s adherence to the "one-China principle" and its recognition of China`s full sovereignty over Tibet.
The Dalai Lama described the talks as "very good" and taking place in a "friendly atmosphere" -- and added that Calderon had "inquired about the situation in Tibet”.
The talks were not listed on Calderon`s public agenda, nor were they part of the official itinerary for the Dalai Lama`s third visit to Mexico, where he arrived late Thursday.
Beijing regards Tibet as an "inseparable" part of China and the Dalai Lama -- who lives in exile in India -- as a "splittist" bent on dividing the country. It regularly protests over his meetings overseas.
In July, China said US President Barack Obama`s talks with the Buddhist monk had damaged relations between the two countries.
The Dalai Lama says he is peacefully seeking greater rights in Tibet and accepts Chinese rule.
The Nobel Peace Prize winner fled Tibet following a failed uprising against Chinese rule in 1959. He later founded Tibet`s government in exile in Dharamsala, northern India, but gave up his political leadership role in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut