Mexico marijuana bust weighs in at 134 tonnes
Tijuana: The marijuana seized in Mexico`s biggest bust ever weighed in at 134 tonnes, nearly 30 tonnes more than initially reported, authorities said.
Mexican security forces made the massive seizure on Monday after a shootout with traffickers, 11 of whom were arrested, officials said.
"It totaled 134 tonnes. Yesterday it was estimated to be 105 tonnes, but the official weighing has now been concluded," Tijuana municipal police chief Gustavo Herrera told a news agency.
A source with the Mexican attorney general`s office also confirmed that the seized marijuana weighed 134 tonnes.
Some 15,300 packets of marijuana were counted, up from 10,000, a day after the drugs were found during raids on several houses in the border city of Tijuana following a shootout, security spokesman Alejandro Poire told a news conference.
"This is the largest seizure in the country`s history of marijuana prepared and packed for sale and distribution," Poire said.
"There are signs that (the drugs) are linked to the Pacific organization," Poire said, referring to another name for the Sinaloa gang led by Mexico`s most-wanted fugitive, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.
In announcing the capture on Monday, General Alfonso Duarte said the drugs were worth about 335 million dollars on the Mexican street, but their value could double or triple if sold in the United States.
The seizure was a coup for Mexico`s President Felipe Calderon whose use of the military to crack down on the country`s drug cartels has been accompanied by soaring drug violence blamed for 28,000 deaths since 2006.
Across the border, residents of the US state of California are due to vote on November 2 on a referendum over whether to legalize marijuana for recreational use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state