Mexico prison riot toll rises to 22
Mexico City: The toll in the prison riot and escape attempt at the penitentiary in Gomez Palacio, a city in the northern Mexican state of Durango, has risen to 22, officials said Wednesday.
The latest figures are "22 dead, 13 inmates and 9 guards", the Durango Public Safety Secretariat said in a Twitter posting.
"There are still several wounded listed in serious condition," the secretariat said, adding that the toll could rise.
Guards and inmates engaged in a shootout during the escape attempt Tuesday afternoon, the secretariat said.
Soldiers on patrol outside the prison foiled the escape attempt and authorities later regained control of the facility, officials said.
Officials transferred 137 federal inmates out of the prison last Sunday after receiving a recommendation from the National Human Rights Commission, or CNDH.
Federal Police officers inspected cells, hallways and common areas in the Gomez Palacio prison after the transfer and found household appliances, cell phones and homemade weapons, the Public Safety Secretariat said.
President Enrique Pena Nieto ordered Government Secretary Miguel Angel Osorio Chong earlier this week to "take measures to ensure control of the penitentiary system so that its policies will allow for the return to society of inmates".
Mexico`s 419 penitentiaries have the capacity to hold 188,167 inmates, but they are currently housing 237,580 prisoners.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know