Mexico troops detain hit man linked to mass graves

Last Updated: Friday, July 1, 2011 - 08:40

Mexico City: Soldiers have detained an alleged hit man who is accused of kidnapping bus passengers, killing them and burying them in mass graves in northern Mexico, authorities said on Thursday.

Abraham Barrios Caporal, 26, was captured in the Gulf coast state of Veracruz and has acknowledged working for the Zetas drug cartel, Mexico`s Defence Department said in a statement.

Barrios Caporal is suspected of taking part in the killings of bus passengers and their burial in clandestine graves at a ranch in the town of San Fernando in Tamaulipas state, the department said.

Barrios Caporal was arrested in the city of Coatzacoalcos Tuesday along with three other members of his cell, said army spokesman, Col Ricardo Trevilla.

Authorities in Tamaulipas began uncovering bodies in mass graves in early April following reports that passengers were being pulled off buses at gunpoint.

As of early June, 193 bodies had been found in 26 graves. Officials say most of those were Mexican migrants heading to the United States who were kidnapped off buses and killed by the Zetas drug cartel.

Barrios Caporal told authorities some of the passengers were kidnapped because were suspected of being members of the rival Gulf cartel.

San Fernando is the same place where 72 Central and South American migrants were slaughtered last August also by the Zetas.

Barrios Caporal is also suspected in that mass killing, the department said.

Bureau Report



First Published: Friday, July 1, 2011 - 08:40

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus