Mexico`s Pacific coast braces for Hurricane Jova
Barra De Navidad: People left low-lying shore neighborhoods, hotels dragged in beach furniture, officials set up shelters and one of Mexico`s biggest cargo ports shut down as powerful Hurricane Jova headed for a Tuesday landfall near this Pacific resort.
Jova was a Category 3 hurricane with maximum sustained winds near 120 mph (193 kph) early Tuesday, and the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said there could be some fluctuations Tuesday. But the center said Jova was expected to be a major hurricane as its eye neared the coastline in the afternoon or evening, and is expected to produce significant coastal flooding near where it makes landfall.
The forecast track would carry its center near Barra de Navidad, which is south of the larger resort of Puerto Vallarta.
Jalisco state authorities evacuated about 500 families late Monday from their homes on the coast near Colima state, said Alejandro Arias, Puerto Vallarta`s civil protection director, after a meeting with state authorities.
Authorities shut down the port of Manzanillo, the biggest cargo center on Mexico`s Pacific coast, and the nearby port of Nuevo Vallarta. Officials were evaluating whether to close down the port in Puerto Vallarta, said Laura Gurza, chief of the federal Civil Protection emergency response agency.
The Mexican government declared a hurricane warning for a 100-mile (160-kilometer) stretch of coast from just south of Puerto Vallarta to a point south of Manzanillo. A tropical storm warning was in effect farther south, to the port of Lazaro Cardenas.
Hotel employees taped up windows, cleaned out water channels to avoid flooding and pulled in all beach furniture.
In the idyllic beach resort of Barra de Navidad, most tourists had left town but those who stayed continued to enjoy themselves late Monday.
Bill Clark, a 59-year-old tourist from Santa Rosa, California, ate tacos at a street stand while enjoying a balmy night.
"Some people are going out of town but I`m not really worried," said Clark, who has been coming to the town since 1994. "I`m from California, I have been through earthquakes."
In the town of 3,000 people, authorities readied two elementary schools to serve as storm shelters, but as of late Monday no one had taken refuge, city councilman Ricardo Rodriguez said.
Gurza said at least 65 shelters had been opened along the coast in the states of Jalisco, Colima and Nayarit.
There were perhaps a couple of hundred tourists left in Barra de Navidad and the nearby beach town of Melaque, said Armando Martinez, an employee of the civil defense department of Cihuatlan, the township that includes both towns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset