MIC to hold party elections in September
Kuala Lumpur: Malyasia`s largest ethnic Indian party MIC, part of the ruling Barisan Nasional, announced on Tuesday to hold party elections in September and complete the polls process by year-end.
Malaysia Indian Congress (MIC) will complete its party elections, which were postponed due to the general elections in May, by year-end following the advice of the Registrar of Societies, party Supremo G Palanivel here said.
He said the party`s core central working committee today decided that nomination for the president`s post will be on September 1 and any contest will be decided on September 22.
In May, the CWC had decided that the party elections be held from January next year.
The elections should have been held in 2012 but were stalled due to the general elections.
Palanivel said the decision to have elections this year was on the advice of the ROS.
He said the President`s post would be elected by 3,900 branch Chairmen.
Elections for Deputy President, three Vice-Presidents and 23 CWC members would be in November or early December, he said.
The ruling Barisan Nasional coalition has three main components. The majority Malay party UMNO, the ethnic Chinese party Malaysian Chinese Association and the ethnic Indian party MIC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price