Michelle Obama cancels trip to Mandela prison
Cape Town: Michelle Obama`s planned ferry trip to the Robben Island prison where Nelson Mandela was held for 18 years has been cancelled due to bad weather.
Aides to the first lady said high winds made the sea too rough to cross.
Mrs Obama is on a weeklong visit to South Africa and Botswana to promote youth leadership, education and health and wellness.
She also has been touring landmarks of South Africa`s past, as a country that once institutionalised the separation of black and white under a system known as apartheid.
Robben Island is one of those sites. Mandela, a former South African president, was jailed on the island off the coast of Cape Town for his role in the movement to undo apartheid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire