Michelle Obama cancels trip to Mandela prison
Cape Town: Michelle Obama`s planned ferry trip to the Robben Island prison where Nelson Mandela was held for 18 years has been cancelled due to bad weather.
Aides to the first lady said high winds made the sea too rough to cross.
Mrs Obama is on a weeklong visit to South Africa and Botswana to promote youth leadership, education and health and wellness.
She also has been touring landmarks of South Africa`s past, as a country that once institutionalised the separation of black and white under a system known as apartheid.
Robben Island is one of those sites. Mandela, a former South African president, was jailed on the island off the coast of Cape Town for his role in the movement to undo apartheid.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed