Michelle Obama cancels trip to Mandela prison
Cape Town: Michelle Obama`s planned ferry trip to the Robben Island prison where Nelson Mandela was held for 18 years has been cancelled due to bad weather.
Aides to the first lady said high winds made the sea too rough to cross.
Mrs Obama is on a weeklong visit to South Africa and Botswana to promote youth leadership, education and health and wellness.
She also has been touring landmarks of South Africa`s past, as a country that once institutionalised the separation of black and white under a system known as apartheid.
Robben Island is one of those sites. Mandela, a former South African president, was jailed on the island off the coast of Cape Town for his role in the movement to undo apartheid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar