Michelle Obama on first solo official trip abroad
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s wife
Michelle embarks on Tuesday on a three day trip to Mexico, her
first solo official trip abroad as the US first lady.
In Mexico City Michelle Obama is scheduled to meet
privately with Mexican first lady Margarita Zavala at the
presidential residence of Los Pinos, the White House said.
Obama will also tour the National Museum of Anthropology
and meet students and teachers at Escuela Siete de Enero, a
public elementary school that serves low-income students.
The US first lady is to address students at the
Universidad Iberoamericana ahead of a reception with women
leaders at Los Pinos, followed by dinner with Zavala and
Mexican President Felipe Calderon.
Before leaving on Thursday, Michelle Obama will meet with
US embassy employees and host a group of young leaders at La
Hacienda de los Morales, a historic event center.
Before returning to Washington the US first lady will
stop in San Diego, California, the White House said.
In the statement announcing the trip, the White House
said that the first lady`s "international agenda will amplify
the president`s commitment to advancing mutual interests,
mutual respect and mutual responsibility between nations and
peoples around the world."
On May 19, the Mexican president and his wife will be the
guests of honor at a White House state dinner. It will be the
second state dinner of Obama`s presidency, following a
November event in honor of visiting Indian Prime Minister
The United States and Mexico share a 3,170 kilometer-long
border. The two countries cooperate over a broad range of
issues, including tackling murderous drug cartels in Mexico,
border and immigration problems and a wide economic and trade
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'