Michelle Obama remains more popular than her husband
Washington: With the US set for presidential polls this year; First Lady Michelle Obama seems to be more popular among Americans than her re-election seeking husband Barack Obama.
Sixty-six per cent of Americans hold a favourable view of first lady, compared to the president`s 52 per cent, according to a Gallup poll.
Michelle Obama`s favourability is unchanged from nearly two years ago and in line with her ratings since Obama was inaugurated as president, Gallup said releasing results of its latest survey.
Noting that Michelle`s current favourable rating is identical to her average 66 per cent rating to date as first lady, Gallup said Americans did not view her as positively during the 2008 presidential campaign, giving her favourable ratings no higher than 54 per cent.
Opinions of her became considerably more positive in January 2009, rising to 68 per cent, just before the inauguration.
Americans also viewed each of the prior two first ladies positively, with Laura Bush averaging a 73 per cent favourable rating and Hillary Clinton 56 per cent.
Gallup began asking favourable and unfavourable opinions of national figures in the current question format in 1992, so it does not have comparable data on first ladies prior to Clinton.
Michelle Obama has a higher favourable rating than the president among independents and Republicans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker