Michelle Obama to attend gun violence victim`s funeral
Washington: US First Lady Michelle Obama will attend the funeral service for a Chicago teen who was gunned down just days after performing at the inauguration festivities for President Barack Obama, a media report said.
The White House confirmed on Thursday that Michelle Obama will attend the funeral service for Hadiya Pendleton who was killed on January 29, blocks from her school on the south side of Chicago, also close to the Obamas` home, reported Xinhua citing ABC News.
The 15-year-old girl was in the King College Pre School band, who performed with her classmates at several inaugural events in the capitol last month.
White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett and Education Secretary Arne Duncan, who are both from Chicago, will also attend Saturday`s funeral service.
The first lady`s decision to attend the funeral comes as the President is generating public support for his package of gun control agenda and push for Congress to move on the long-time divisive issue.
Days ahead of his second-term inauguration, Obama unveiled a sweeping package of gun violence reduction proposals, a month after the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. The December massacre that killed 26 people, including 20 schoolchildren, has renewed the nationwide debate on gun-control necessity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm