Michelle Obama to attend gun violence victim`s funeral
Washington: US First Lady Michelle Obama will attend the funeral service for a Chicago teen who was gunned down just days after performing at the inauguration festivities for President Barack Obama, a media report said.
The White House confirmed on Thursday that Michelle Obama will attend the funeral service for Hadiya Pendleton who was killed on January 29, blocks from her school on the south side of Chicago, also close to the Obamas` home, reported Xinhua citing ABC News.
The 15-year-old girl was in the King College Pre School band, who performed with her classmates at several inaugural events in the capitol last month.
White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett and Education Secretary Arne Duncan, who are both from Chicago, will also attend Saturday`s funeral service.
The first lady`s decision to attend the funeral comes as the President is generating public support for his package of gun control agenda and push for Congress to move on the long-time divisive issue.
Days ahead of his second-term inauguration, Obama unveiled a sweeping package of gun violence reduction proposals, a month after the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. The December massacre that killed 26 people, including 20 schoolchildren, has renewed the nationwide debate on gun-control necessity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video