Michelle Obama to attend gun violence victim`s funeral
Washington: US First Lady Michelle Obama will attend the funeral service for a Chicago teen who was gunned down just days after performing at the inauguration festivities for President Barack Obama, a media report said.
The White House confirmed on Thursday that Michelle Obama will attend the funeral service for Hadiya Pendleton who was killed on January 29, blocks from her school on the south side of Chicago, also close to the Obamas` home, reported Xinhua citing ABC News.
The 15-year-old girl was in the King College Pre School band, who performed with her classmates at several inaugural events in the capitol last month.
White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett and Education Secretary Arne Duncan, who are both from Chicago, will also attend Saturday`s funeral service.
The first lady`s decision to attend the funeral comes as the President is generating public support for his package of gun control agenda and push for Congress to move on the long-time divisive issue.
Days ahead of his second-term inauguration, Obama unveiled a sweeping package of gun violence reduction proposals, a month after the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. The December massacre that killed 26 people, including 20 schoolchildren, has renewed the nationwide debate on gun-control necessity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened