Michelle Obama turns 50
Washington: Michelle Obama turned 50 on Friday but the US First Lady is showing no signs of slowing down as she follows her interests from dancing to yoga and has learned to "never say never" even to botox.
At an education event at the White House on Thursday, President Barack Obama made sure nobody forgot about Friday`s big event First Lady`s birthday. But it`s not just any birthday -- it`s her 50th.
Though her birthday was today, it will be tomorrow night that Michelle will celebrate with dancing and sweets throughout the state floor of the White House, drawing the nation`s attention away from her husband, at least for an evening.
Guests will sip fine American wines, consume delicate macarons and be entertained in all probability by Beyonce, the New York Times reported.
Michelle`s birthday has been in the news ever since she asked guests attending her birthday bash at the White House to wear comfortable shoes, practice their dance moves and eat before coming to the party.
In a save-the-date email guests were advised to dine before coming to the `Snacks & Sips & Dancing & Dessert` party on January 18.
Michelle had hinted about her birthday plans during last month`s visit to a children`s hospital, when a girl asked her about her big day. "It might involve some dancing," she told the girl. "A little Dougie."
At 50, Michelle has said she does not feel the need for Botox injections or other cosmetic procedures as some women at her age do, but she is not closing her door if the time comes and she feels she needs it.
"Women should have the freedom to do whatever they need to do to feel good about themselves ... Right now, I don`t imagine that I would go that route, but I`ve also learned to never say never," she told People magazine.
If the First Lady does not feel the need now for beauty enhancement treatments, it`s because of the healthy lifestyle that she is living by sticking to her workout routine, which includes more of yoga.
Michelle in many ways is the embodiment of the contemporary, urban, well-heeled middle-aged American woman. She likes to take "me time", as she did during an extra vacation week this month without family in Hawaii.
In an interview, Michelle described her life as "ever-evolving."
Michelle, who has a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School, dabbles the role of a mother and the First Lady with ease as on one hand she campaigns for causes she believes in and on the other hand she takes care of her two daughters, Malia and Sasha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore