Michelle Obama’s visit to Oak Creek welcomed
Freemont: The American Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (AGPC), a conglomeration of 65 Gurdwara managements in the United States, has welcomed the visit of US First Lady Michelle Obama to Oak Creek in Wisconsin to commiserate with the Sikh community in the wake of the recent killing of six Sikhs at a Gurdwara by a former Army soldier.
Michelle is visiting to Oak Creek on Thursday and would address the community at the Sikh shrine. The AGPC said in its statement that the visit would heal wounds inflicted on the Sikh community.
AGPC president JS Hothi and coordinator Dr Pritpal Singh said Michelle Michelle’s visit would be seen as an act of solidarity.
“She is lady of human touch, and her visit would definitely be an act of solidarity being expressed by the whole of the US towards the community,” Dr Pritpal Singh said.
It said that Sikhs have contributed immensely in the development, democratic traditions and harmony of the United States and was shocked over the incident where six people were killed and more than four injured in the act of violence inflicted by a lone gunner.
They said that the Sikhs had been a peace-loving community that had been doing a lot for the progress of the United States.
“While we welcome her visit, we also want the community’s contributions to the US’s progress recognised on all fronts,” said Dr Pritpal.
Hothi said the AGPC is hoping that President Barack Obama visits the area sooner than later, while understanding that he has a busy election campaign-related schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi