Michelle Obama’s visit to Oak Creek welcomed
Freemont: The American Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (AGPC), a conglomeration of 65 Gurdwara managements in the United States, has welcomed the visit of US First Lady Michelle Obama to Oak Creek in Wisconsin to commiserate with the Sikh community in the wake of the recent killing of six Sikhs at a Gurdwara by a former Army soldier.
Michelle is visiting to Oak Creek on Thursday and would address the community at the Sikh shrine. The AGPC said in its statement that the visit would heal wounds inflicted on the Sikh community.
AGPC president JS Hothi and coordinator Dr Pritpal Singh said Michelle Michelle’s visit would be seen as an act of solidarity.
“She is lady of human touch, and her visit would definitely be an act of solidarity being expressed by the whole of the US towards the community,” Dr Pritpal Singh said.
It said that Sikhs have contributed immensely in the development, democratic traditions and harmony of the United States and was shocked over the incident where six people were killed and more than four injured in the act of violence inflicted by a lone gunner.
They said that the Sikhs had been a peace-loving community that had been doing a lot for the progress of the United States.
“While we welcome her visit, we also want the community’s contributions to the US’s progress recognised on all fronts,” said Dr Pritpal.
Hothi said the AGPC is hoping that President Barack Obama visits the area sooner than later, while understanding that he has a busy election campaign-related schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video