Michelle’s speech at DNC gets ‘masterful’ verdict
Washington: US First Lady Michelle Obama’s impassioned speech backing her husband for another four-year term at the White House has got a ‘masterful’ verdict from people who attended the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte.
No longer were people fretting that Bill Clinton might overshadow Barack Obama, rather they wondered how the President might outshine his wife at the Convention.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, even Fox News was impressed by the First Lady’s speech and called it ‘masterful’.
Her speech also provoked a massive digital response with 28,003 tweets per minute compared with Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s 14,289 tweets during his acceptance speech last week.
She did not mention Romney by name once, but each tribute she gave to her husband was wrapped in an unsaid slight at Romney, the report said.
She described the President’s childhood circumstances as similar to hers, and told the story of the two families in which due to less money parents or grandparents sacrificed their wishes to provide opportunities to children, a choice obviously not faced by Romney’s parents, the report added.
“Barack was raised by a single mother who struggled to pay the bills and by grandparents who stepped in when she needed help,” she said.
She credited her husband with bringing the ‘economy from the brink of collapse to creating jobs again’ and appealed on behalf of her husband for more time.
Defending Obama’s Healthcare, which has been attacked by Republicans, she said: “When it comes to the health of our families, Barack refused to listen to all those folks who told him to leave health reform for another day, another president,” she said.
“He didn’t care whether it was the easy thing to do politically. No, that’s not how he was raised. He cared that it was the right thing to do,” Michelle added.
The editor of the conservative blog RedState was, however, so upset by the First Lady’s address, that he tweeted: “First night of the Vagina Monologues in Charlotte going as expected”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption