Michigan man under Secret Service probe for alleged Obama assassination threat
Washington: An alleged threat against American President Barack Obama by a resident of Clinton Township, Michigan has alerted the U.S. Secret Service.
A Comerica Bank employee told local police that he overheard the 57-year-old man tell another customer on January 2 that he wanted the president to be assassinated, according to a local paper.
The source also said he heard the man say that he knew of some people willing to drive him to Washington D.C. to get the job done, according to a police report.
When questioned about the incident by Clinton Township police, the man denied the allegations and said he was simply voicing his unhappiness with President Obama’s policies, the Huffington Post reports.
Police notified the Secret Services, who are expected to handle any additional investigation.
Another Michigan man, James Allen Myers of Dearborn Heights, was recently charged for making racially charged threats against Obama and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
The 37-year-old, who is a registered sex offender, made several calls in December to the FCC and the National Geographic Channel.
Unfortunately for the president, these incidents are far from isolated. After Obama was elected, the Secret Service investigated a 22-year-old California woman who wrote a Facebook post about Obama using a racial slur and adding “Maybe he will get assassinated this term.”
A Florida man who also used Facebook to post a threatening comment about the president in November was arrested after the Secret Service investigated.
After taking office President Obama became the target of about 30 death threats a day, according to the book In the President’s Secret Service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why