Michigan man under Secret Service probe for alleged Obama assassination threat
Washington: An alleged threat against American President Barack Obama by a resident of Clinton Township, Michigan has alerted the U.S. Secret Service.
A Comerica Bank employee told local police that he overheard the 57-year-old man tell another customer on January 2 that he wanted the president to be assassinated, according to a local paper.
The source also said he heard the man say that he knew of some people willing to drive him to Washington D.C. to get the job done, according to a police report.
When questioned about the incident by Clinton Township police, the man denied the allegations and said he was simply voicing his unhappiness with President Obama’s policies, the Huffington Post reports.
Police notified the Secret Services, who are expected to handle any additional investigation.
Another Michigan man, James Allen Myers of Dearborn Heights, was recently charged for making racially charged threats against Obama and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
The 37-year-old, who is a registered sex offender, made several calls in December to the FCC and the National Geographic Channel.
Unfortunately for the president, these incidents are far from isolated. After Obama was elected, the Secret Service investigated a 22-year-old California woman who wrote a Facebook post about Obama using a racial slur and adding “Maybe he will get assassinated this term.”
A Florida man who also used Facebook to post a threatening comment about the president in November was arrested after the Secret Service investigated.
After taking office President Obama became the target of about 30 death threats a day, according to the book In the President’s Secret Service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth