Mid-air terror scare `grounds London-bound flight`
London: British fighter jets escorted an Etihad Airways jet to land at London`s Stansted airport on Monday after it was diverted because of a passenger making threats, officials said.
A 37-year-old British national was arrested after the flight bound for London`s Heathrow Airport from Abu Dhabi landed, but the incident was not believed to be terrorism-related, said police.
"The pilot reported a passenger causing disruption and making threats. The plane was diverted to Stansted Airport were it landed just before midday (1200 GMT)," said a spokeswoman for Essex Police.
"No one has been injured and the airport is operating normally."
A spokeswoman for Abu Dhabi-based Etihad said it was a "question of inappropriate comments made on the flight and a disruptive passenger. There was no threat to the safety of the aircraft or the passengers”.
Two Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter aircraft were scrambled to escort the aircraft "due to an incident on board", the Ministry of Defence said in a statement, without giving further details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon