Middle East may flare up if peace talks fail: Israel`s Peres
Jerusalem: The Middle East could erupt into violence if the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian peace talks collapse, Israel`s President Shimon Peres warned on Monday.
"It is crucial that these negotiations will be completed successfully," Peres said after meeting Romanian President Traian Basescu.
"A failure to do so would be tragic for the Middle East. The situation in the Middle East can flare up overnight if the talks fail."
Israel and the Palestinians embarked upon a nine-month track of direct negotiations at the urging of US Secretary of State John Kerry, at the end of July.
But although the April deadline is looming, the talks appear to have made little visible progress. Currently, Kerry`s main focus is trying to get the sides to agree on a framework to guide the negotiations forward in the coming months.
Basescu told the Israeli president it was a "crucial moment" in the talks.
"My main message is ratify the Kerry initiative and seize the opportunity at a time when the Middle East is on fire," he said.
"We honestly believe that everybody understands that this moment must be captured and used for the betterment of the nations," he said, acknowledging "the extreme difficulties of these negotiations".
The two men also discussed Iran`s nuclear programme and bilateral relations between Israel and Romania.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31