Middle East people need to feel “masters of their own countries”: Gorbachev
Moscow: The political unrest in the Arab world has convinced former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev that the Middle East should embrace democracy and allow it people to be masters of their own countries.
Gorbachev has rejected speculations that democracy would fail in countries like Egypt and Tunisia.
"People need to feel they are masters of their own countries. Political commentators and politicians have been saying we must not allow countries to go the way of Gorbachev - glasnost, free elections, freedom of speech, democratisation,” Sky News quoted him, as saying.
"They say this is a dangerous path, dangerous for the ruling elites. But listen - we should think about the people. They can only develop if they can influence politics," Gorbachev added.
Insisting that the Arab world is “very capable”, he said that the current unrest in the region should begin a new era, and that “Arabs and Muslims should get involved in the global process of creating a healthier global environment by taking part in combating terrorism.”
"This has been set in motion in the Middle East. People want to feel like human beings," Gorbachev added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks