Mideast peace talk leaks destabilising: Blair
London: Middle East envoy Tony Blair said
on Friday he believed the leak of hundreds of documents on the
Israel-Palestinian peace negotiations was "destabilising".
"I think it is hard to tell right now but its
intention was to be extremely damaging," Blair told the BBC
from the world economic forum in Davos, after being asked
about the leaks to the Al-Jazeera television station.
Citing one of his successes when he was Britain`s
prime minister, he said: "We couldn`t have done the Northern
Ireland peace process if the entire time everything was being
put out there, with frankly a pretty severe spin on it.
"So I think it is destabilising for the Palestinians.
"However, I think we have just got to be big enough
and strong enough to say `OK, look, whatever Al-Jazeera is
putting out, we are just going to get on with making peace`."
The leak of more than 1,600 documents has shaken the
Palestinian Authority, revealing that it offered Israel
far-reaching concessions on the sensitive subjects of
Jerusalem and refugees during peace talks.
In the West Bank, demonstrators have offered their
support for Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, but in the
Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, protests have been held criticising
Abbas for "collaborating" with Israel.
Blair was Britain`s prime minister between 1997 and
2007 and is currently envoy for the Middle East diplomatic
Quartet of the European Union, Russia, the United Nations and
the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe