Mideast Quartet meets to avoid looming crisis
Washington: Envoys from the Middle East
diplomatic Quartet meet Monday in Washington in one of the
final attempts to avoid a major confrontation at the United
Nations between the Israelis and the Palestinians.
The senior diplomats, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon,
European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, United
States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her Russian
counterpart Sergei Lavrov will "compare notes about where we
are and plot a course forward" on the peace process, State
Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said on Friday.
The bar is set low in terms of objectives, which explains
why the United States hesitated at length before accepting to
hold the meeting, arguing the conditions for success were
simply not there. But a complete lack of diplomatic activity
also seemed impossible.
Peace talks ground to a halt in September 2010 when
Israel failed to renew a partial freeze on settlement
construction in the occupied West Bank.
Since then, the Palestinians have refused to return to
talks as long as Israel builds on land they want for a future
They are planning to seek recognition of their state
within the 1967 lines that preceded the Six-Day War when the
UN General Assembly meets in September, despite the opposition
of both Israel and the United States.
Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas has vowed to pursue
the unilateral bid for recognition barring any prospects of a
renewal of negotiations with Israel.
But negotiator Mohammed Shtayeh noted the Palestinians
may take their bid for statehood to the UN General Assembly
rather than the Security Council, where a US veto is likely,
with plans to submit the request to Ban later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India