Mideast Quartet to discuss current situation
Washington: The Middle East Quartet comprising the European Union, the UN, the US and Russia would meet next Monday in Washington and take stock of the current situation between Israel and Palestine, a top US official said.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said on Wednesday that since President Barack Obama outlined his vision in March about peacemaking between Israelis and Palestinians based on the 1967 borders, many of the Quartet members have been engaged in efforts to get them back to the table.
"With regard to the Quartet next week, the ministers are going to come together and take stock of where we are. So it`s a good opportunity for stock- taking among the major ministers involved," Xinhua quoted Nuland as saying at a news briefing.
She, however, acknowledged it is hard to get the parties to resume talks.
"You can see that this is hard work getting these parties back to the table, and that hard work will continue not only in the US but by all the Quartet partners," she said.
Nuland said it was not "a good idea" for the Palestinians to try to seek recognition of their statehood when the UN General Assembly meets in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row