Migrant boat sinks en route to Spain, 14 dead
Madrid: Spain`s Maritime Rescue Service has found 14 bodies in the sea and rescued 17 people after a boat carrying migrants from Morocco began to sink in the Mediterranean.
Search operations are continuing because a rescue official told a news agency that one of the migrants said about 70 people had been on the boat. The official spoke under departmental rules of anonymity.
A Coast Guard plane spotted the boat on Thursday afternoon following a tip-off that it had left Morocco and was heading to Spain. Those on the boat are believed to be from sub-Saharan Africa.
Each year, thousands of suspected illegal immigrants from Africa try to reach Europe by setting sail in small, fragile boats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation