Migrant workers sold as slaves in China: Report
Beijing: Several unscrupulous employment
agencies in a central Chinese city are reportedly recruiting
migrant workers and selling them as slaves where they are
subjected to dreadful working conditions.
Several such unlicensed agencies function from hidden
around the railway station in Zhengzhou, a transportation hub
that is the capital of Henan Province, a media report said.
A complete network from recruitment to distribution was
formed to sell migrant workers to do physical work in mines,
quarries and kilns under dreadful working conditions with
little or no pay, the Economic Information Daily reported
The daily illustrated the case of 28-year-old Zhu Wei,
who had just arrived in Zhengzhou to look for a job in April.
A man offered him a job in a paint factory at a monthly salary
of 1,500 yuan (USD 235).
Zhu was then led to a hostel and locked in a room with
10-plus others who appeared "mentally retarded," the report
The next day, the group was sent to several quarries in
eastern Shandong Province.
"We didn`t have any protection and were directly exposed
in the dust. Cameras were installed on the walls to prevent us
from escape," Zhu told the newspaper.
Zhu managed to flee the quarry and reported the case to
the police. Six suspects at the quarry have been arrested.
Prosecutors say it was difficult to go after the illegal
employment agencies partly because they were well-disguised
and it was hard to collect evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM
- Jharkhand Maoists torch 35 vehicles in 150 days; contractors panic
- Loyalty declaration on stamp paper a symbol of slavery: BJP
- Militants kill cop, snatch weapon from another in Kashmir