Militant cleric Abu Qatada asks for bail in Jordan
Amman: A radical Muslim preacher deported from Britain to Jordan to face a retrial on terrorism charges has asked to be released on bail pending trial.
Prosecutors have charged the cleric, Abu Qatada, with conspiring to carry out terrorist attacks against Israelis, Americans and other Westerners in Jordan in two foiled plots in 1999 and 2000.
The 53-year-old militant preacher was deported from Britain to Jordan yesterday.
Abu Qatada`s lawyer, Tayseer Thiab, says he submitted a formal bail request for his client today.
A military prosecutor says the State Security Court will respond "within 48 hours." Suspects accused of serious crimes such as terrorism are rarely granted bail in Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog