Militant cleric Abu Qatada asks for bail in Jordan
Amman: A radical Muslim preacher deported from Britain to Jordan to face a retrial on terrorism charges has asked to be released on bail pending trial.
Prosecutors have charged the cleric, Abu Qatada, with conspiring to carry out terrorist attacks against Israelis, Americans and other Westerners in Jordan in two foiled plots in 1999 and 2000.
The 53-year-old militant preacher was deported from Britain to Jordan yesterday.
Abu Qatada`s lawyer, Tayseer Thiab, says he submitted a formal bail request for his client today.
A military prosecutor says the State Security Court will respond "within 48 hours." Suspects accused of serious crimes such as terrorism are rarely granted bail in Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday