Militant cleric Abu Qatada asks for bail in Jordan
Amman: A radical Muslim preacher deported from Britain to Jordan to face a retrial on terrorism charges has asked to be released on bail pending trial.
Prosecutors have charged the cleric, Abu Qatada, with conspiring to carry out terrorist attacks against Israelis, Americans and other Westerners in Jordan in two foiled plots in 1999 and 2000.
The 53-year-old militant preacher was deported from Britain to Jordan yesterday.
Abu Qatada`s lawyer, Tayseer Thiab, says he submitted a formal bail request for his client today.
A military prosecutor says the State Security Court will respond "within 48 hours." Suspects accused of serious crimes such as terrorism are rarely granted bail in Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch