Militant cleric Abu Qatada asks for bail in Jordan
Amman: A radical Muslim preacher deported from Britain to Jordan to face a retrial on terrorism charges has asked to be released on bail pending trial.
Prosecutors have charged the cleric, Abu Qatada, with conspiring to carry out terrorist attacks against Israelis, Americans and other Westerners in Jordan in two foiled plots in 1999 and 2000.
The 53-year-old militant preacher was deported from Britain to Jordan yesterday.
Abu Qatada`s lawyer, Tayseer Thiab, says he submitted a formal bail request for his client today.
A military prosecutor says the State Security Court will respond "within 48 hours." Suspects accused of serious crimes such as terrorism are rarely granted bail in Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'