Militant group: 7 Nigerians abducted in rig attack
Lagos: The main militant group in Nigeria`s
oil-rich southern delta says it kidnapped seven local workers
from an offshore oil rig operated by Exxon Mobil Corp.
In an e-mail to journalists today, the Movement for the
Emancipation of the Niger Delta says the hostages "were taken
to prevent the Nigerian government from attributing the damage
to this facility to an industrial accident." Exxon Mobil said
the attack happened Sunday night.
The e-mail also claims militants used explosives to
damage the Ibeno oil rig, located off the coast of Akwa Ibom
The attack is the latest claimed by the militant group.
It also claimed an attack last week in which seven expatriate
workers were kidnapped from a rig exploring an oil field for
London-based Afren PLC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SCO Summit: India looks forward to fruitful outcome, says PM Narendra Modi
- 'Nautanki, full drama CM': Arvind Kejriwal tweets praising a movie; Twitter explodes with hilarious reactions
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US