Militant group: 7 Nigerians abducted in rig attack
Lagos: The main militant group in Nigeria`s
oil-rich southern delta says it kidnapped seven local workers
from an offshore oil rig operated by Exxon Mobil Corp.
In an e-mail to journalists today, the Movement for the
Emancipation of the Niger Delta says the hostages "were taken
to prevent the Nigerian government from attributing the damage
to this facility to an industrial accident." Exxon Mobil said
the attack happened Sunday night.
The e-mail also claims militants used explosives to
damage the Ibeno oil rig, located off the coast of Akwa Ibom
The attack is the latest claimed by the militant group.
It also claimed an attack last week in which seven expatriate
workers were kidnapped from a rig exploring an oil field for
London-based Afren PLC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what