Militants attack police HQ in Iraq, 33 killed
Baghdad: At least 33 people were killed and 70 others wounded Sunday when suicide bombers attempted to take control of a police headquarters in Iraq, Xinhua reported.
The attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk, police said.
The attackers blew up a car loaded with explosives, while a suicide bomber wearing an explosives vest blew himself up at the entrance of the compound.
Police said the blasts were aimed at opening the way for gunmen to enter the compound.
Police said the attempt was unsuccessful.
The toll could rise as many injured were evacuated by ambulances and civilian cars to several hospitals in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak
- It's Official! LG V20 to be world’s first phone with Android 7.0 Nougat
- Is marriage on the cards for Nargis Fakhri? READ full story
- Sensex regains 28K level, up 118 points in early trade
- Sepp Blatter in last fight against six-year FIFA ban