Militants attack police HQ in Iraq, 33 killed
Baghdad: At least 33 people were killed and 70 others wounded Sunday when suicide bombers attempted to take control of a police headquarters in Iraq, Xinhua reported.
The attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk, police said.
The attackers blew up a car loaded with explosives, while a suicide bomber wearing an explosives vest blew himself up at the entrance of the compound.
Police said the blasts were aimed at opening the way for gunmen to enter the compound.
Police said the attempt was unsuccessful.
The toll could rise as many injured were evacuated by ambulances and civilian cars to several hospitals in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter