Militants attack police HQ in Iraq, 33 killed
Baghdad: At least 33 people were killed and 70 others wounded Sunday when suicide bombers attempted to take control of a police headquarters in Iraq, Xinhua reported.
The attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk, police said.
The attackers blew up a car loaded with explosives, while a suicide bomber wearing an explosives vest blew himself up at the entrance of the compound.
Police said the blasts were aimed at opening the way for gunmen to enter the compound.
Police said the attempt was unsuccessful.
The toll could rise as many injured were evacuated by ambulances and civilian cars to several hospitals in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown