Militants attack police HQ in Iraq, 33 killed
Baghdad: At least 33 people were killed and 70 others wounded Sunday when suicide bombers attempted to take control of a police headquarters in Iraq, Xinhua reported.
The attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk, police said.
The attackers blew up a car loaded with explosives, while a suicide bomber wearing an explosives vest blew himself up at the entrance of the compound.
Police said the blasts were aimed at opening the way for gunmen to enter the compound.
Police said the attempt was unsuccessful.
The toll could rise as many injured were evacuated by ambulances and civilian cars to several hospitals in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Muttiah Muralitharan, three others to be inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Rio Games 2016: Olympic pro at 22, Shiva Thapa banks on improved strength at mega event
- India vs West Indies: Confident visitors arrive in Kingston for 2nd Test
- Coal scam: Court awards 3 years jail term to Rathi Steel CEO
- 'India more than capable of achieving 100 Smart City goal'